Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Biker Style


I love new jackets.  I wanted a slouchy, casual jacket for walking at night  (to dinner at Terrigal ) with a few pockets .  This biker style from Burda 1/2010 was perfect.    I took it to Sydney last week and  watched the Vivid light festival at Darling Harbour ,  Circular Quay and wore it to the outside screening of the State of Origin game  at the haunted "Dundee Arms Pub".  It kept me nice and toastie.

  I used a navy  wool gabardine and lined with a spotty navy and red silk.  (I paid $1 per metre).  The pattern  recommended coat fabric which I think meant a little thicker then what I used.   This piece of wool was purchased in China back in 2001.  I did a little short "navel" inspired jacket for my daughter a few years ago,  and I think there is just enough for warm pants left.

I used  Burda Magazine pattern from 1/2010  and cut a straight 42 with no alterations.   I always get confused putting the collar/lapels together and have a "thing" about them,  so I try to sew them early in the process to get them over and done with.  (Really if they do not work then I can rid of the project) I  have sort of decided to try to make a few more and in the hope that I will get better.   The entire jacket was interfaced  and  I 'bagged ' the lining.  Finding the right notions is always hard and   I had to shortened the zips by pulling out the unwanted teeth with pliers and reattaching the zip stops,  which can make the tapes look a bit messy.

Burda 1/2010

 Burda  included a pattern for a fur collar. I was out shopping and found a navy  merino wool collar.

Pattern: Burda Magazine  1/2010
Fabric:   Navy wool gabardine from stash,  purchased 2001 2.5m
Lining:  Navy and red silk  2m
Notions:  zips from Spotlight

Museum of Contemporary Art Vivid Festival2013

Sydney Opera House  Vivid Festival 2013


  1. Great looking jacket for your night strolls and wasn't Vivid awesome!

  2. For all the trials of the collar and zips - the jacket worked, looks great over those patterend pants.